Sunday, May 18

Eating in Color ... and in Foil


Don't think that this meal is a representative sample of our everyday menu. It isn't. I like recipes that come recommended from others, but I know I am more likely to make them if I can see how it is done, or what the finished product looks like. So, here is a step by step picture recipe. We made 9 dinners with this recipe. They were huge and easily could have served 12.

Colorful Veggies in Foil
Ingredients:
1 zucchini squash, chopped into 1 1/2 inch pieces
1 yellow squash, chopped into 1 1/2 inch pieces
1 lb. mushrooms, quartered
1 pkg. cherry or grape tomatoes
1 red bell pepper, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
1 green bell pepper, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
2/3 c. Kraft Zesty Italian dressing
Parmesan Cheese

Step 1 Wash and cut all veggies. Toss with dressing to coat. Attach 2 pieces of foil together by folding edges 3 times. (like if you were sewing a hem) Dump all veggies onto foil.
Step 2 Fold sides up over the ends of the veggies.
Close top by bringing last 2 sides together and "hemming" the last 2 pieces together. This is how it looks when it is done. Cook in the same manner as the foil dinners (below) except cook only 6 minutes per side. Sprinkle with Parmesan Cheese and serve.
Foil Dinners
Ingredients:

5 lbs. potatoes, chopped
8 lbs. marinaded chopped meat (this shows chicken)
2 lbs. carrots chopped
1 onion, chopped
3-4 stalks celery, chopped (I forgot to put this on my grocery list, so we used celery salt instead: Oops!)
salt & pepper to taste
garlic powder, abt. 1/2 tsp. per foil pouch

I marinade my meat in Kraft Zesty Italian dressing


Step 1 Lay out 2 sheets of foil per dinner. (Don't be stingy or your dinners might not fit!)
Step 2 Spray foil with Pam, and place a pile of potatoes. I chop all my veggies ahead and keep covered with water, then just before I use them, I drain them with my Tupperware Impressions Colander. Step 3 Add carrots (and celery if you remember to buy it)
Step 4 add onions, garlic and seasonings to taste. These are my well-used Tupperware Salt & Pepper Shakers. I don't usually use celery salt. Potatoes are bland, so be generous with the seasonings.
Step 5 add the meat. I cut my meat frozen (its easier) and then throw it in my Tupperware Season Serve container with the dressing, and as it thaws, it absorbs the marinade. Marinade meat at least 4 hours, for best flavor
Step 6 Just like the veggies, fold up the dinners into pouches. Wrap one sheet of foil at a time.
Step 7 I use a cookie sheet to transport my dinners out to the fire. This is what they look like all wrapped up.
Step 8 the coals or briquettes should be grayish. This means they are hot enough to cook the food. Troy came home early to get my fire going. (Our friends arrived at 6pm) We used really dry firewood and it took about 30-40 mins. to get this hot.
Step 9 Place foil dinners directly on hot coals. Cook about 10-15 minutes
Step 10 Use metal tongs to turn dinners. Be very careful not to pierce or tear foil. Rotate the positioning of dinners, as there may be "hot spots" in the firepit. After another 10 minutes, check for doneness and enjoy. We topped ours with BBQ sauce. Sorry- I was so anxious to eat, I forgot to take a picture of the finished product.
Last Step Sit back and enjoy the food, the fire, and the friends. We made S'mores for dessert. I ate 7!! Yummy!

1 comment: