Wednesday, May 28

Digging the basement today

Which first- the good or bad news?

Well, the good news is that 1 the excavators came out this morning to dig the basement.
2 We also had out dumpster hauled away this morning. It was loaded to the brim.

And 3 we got a port-a-potty. It is literally inches from my front door. (I am rolling my eyes at the hilarity of it all.) My life and house are chaotically crazy. The bad news is that after digging a very short time, they hit water. I don't mean broke a pipe; I mean hit the water table. I guess in our area is is very close to the surface- only about 6 feet down. We needed to dig 9 feet deep for the footings and foundation walls. So, at this point, we are waiting to see how to proceed. We have a few options we're considering at this point. Any suggestions? Any sympathetic comments would be appreciated.

One more thing. A huge THANKS to Troy's parents and 2 youngest sisters who came over last night and helped finish the prep work. They stayed really late- until the whole house was staked off and ready to dig. another Thank You to Parker, who also helped tear out the roof. Last night, and Monday he helped us finish demolishing the shed.

6 comments:

Ted said...

Oh no! I guess you could have a swimming pool in the basement!? You guys seem to be getting things done really fast.

Tasharoo said...

So why the need for the port-a-potty? You still have a bathroom right, or is that for the workers. Do you have to pay extra for that or is that in the whole cost.
Believe me a port-a-potty isn't so bad, I'd much rather have that than finding any kind of fecal matter on your property!
It is looking awesome! We are all so excited to see the house start to rise!
Good Luck and will be sending well wishes your way for the water to go away!

Nicole said...

In response to Tash's question about the port-a-potty: We have no sewer. The sewer line ran where the new basement will be, so in order to dig the hole, we had to cut the sewer line. Bummer. I'll say, I miss the kitchen sink and dishwasher more than the toilet. Once the foundation walls are in, we can re-attach the sewer. I think I may end up taking up temporary residence at one of our hotels before it gets reconnected. We'll have to wait and see...

Collier Family said...

Great curb appeal with the porta-john next to your front door! I guess it's a good thing you're not selling!! :) I love seeing the pictures of how things are coming along!

Nicole said...

I know! I feel bad for the neighbors on the west of us. They are trying to sell their house. I hope our "project" doesn't make it harder for them.

Anonymous said...

Good Job! :)