Wednesday, August 6

Nicole and the Amazing Technicolor Wilderness

WARNING: This blog post has an auto-start music player. Adjust your volume accordingly.

We spent the last 2 weeks of July in Southern Utah near Bryce Canyon National Park and Red Canyon. The scenery was gorgeous and as we were riding our motorcycles and the Rhino, we observed some of the beauty that makes me more fully understand the meaning of "God's Green Earth." Although a photo cannot fully capture the awe of the wildlife and nature we saw, I have tried to re-create a portion of it for you. As we rode, I was amazed at all the color there. The words from Joseph's Coat, from the musical Joseph and the Amazing technicolor Dream Coat kept repeating over and over in my head, so I included the lyrics and the audio clip.


I tried to find a flower, bug, tree, or scene of every color listed in the song, let's see how I did:
We got a lot of rain one day

no, it's not out of focus, you are looking for the red and black ants


I wish I knew the names of some of these flowers
We found this little creek on the rainy day. We stopped for lunch and Grandma Melissa (the water magnet) found it and went wading with Timmy.



These wildflowers looked like weeds to me, but after almost 2 weeks, they started to grow on me. (No pun intended.)
We celebrated the 24th of July, a.k.a. Pioneer Day (a Utah holiday) while we were there. We flew this flag at our campsite almost every day.

This is tropic Resoirvoir. We camped less than 5 miles from here

This is the reservoir on a cloudy day. We got stuck in a downpour this day.
Do you see the 3 antelope?
Ignore those crazy people and try to see the gorgeous view in the background.
There were cows ALL OVER. This here is #145. She had a calf with her, who was a little camera shy.
The clouds were magnificent. They were even more enjoyable when they didn't dump rain on us. The colors of the rocks varied so much, even within a 20 mile radius.
This is one photo that doesn't do justice to the weird lava rock type mountain pictured here. It was black and came out of nowhere. This was possibly the most bizarre thing I saw on this vacation.


This is East Fork Creek. (Our vacation is named after this body of water.)
The elevation at camp was about 7,850 ft. This view was breathtaking.
I'll try to post a few more pictures with us in them. I was just amazed by the scenery and wanted to share it with you.


Lyrics | Joseph And The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat - Joseph’s Coat lyrics

2 comments:

suz said...

What a fun vacation! You are a great photographer, I loved the pics!

Channa said...

Nicole - this is down where I am from. Bryce Canyon is only about 40 minutes southeast from my house! We used to play Bryce Valley high school. It's beautiful down there, isn't it? I loved looking through all your pictures. Bryce Canyon is such a beautfiul place!!!