Sunday, June 15

In a People House

Have you ever read this Dr. Seuss book? It is about a bird and a mouse that explore in a "People house." I would recommend it to any with little kids. When we dug our basement, we unintentionally evicted some birds from their homes. In their efforts at relocation, one young robin red breast decided to move in with us. I was confused at first when Timmy nonchalantly mentioned that there was a bird on the microwave. I glanced over and there was a real live, twittering, flapping bird.
I was a little worried about its health because it was battering itself attempting to fly through the glass window to get back outside. I opened the doors, thinking it would fly out the same way it came in. But, with us in the house, it was too fearful and wouldn't cross the kitchen or living room to get to the doors. Here is the bird on the corner of the fridgeSitting on our sam's club sized hand sanitizerOn top of the fridge again.

The boys thought it was awesome to have a bird in the house, especially since I don't let any animals in: no bugs, no dogs, no pets, no nothing! (We do have one pet crab, but it stays in its tank, especially after what happened to his superhero brother when he ventured out of the aquarium.) I am just not an animal person, so this noisy, active wild animal was great excitement and entertainment. Spencer even learned how to say "bird" when all this was going on.
Finally, I ventured over to the window it was beating itself against, and opened the window, and removed the screen. I placed the screen so the bird had only one place to fly to: toward the open window, and in a minute or two, the bird was happily back outside. It was easier than getting raccoons out of the chimney. What a relief!

4 comments:

Tasharoo said...

Hee Hee! (Easier than getting raccoons out of a chimney!)...less scary too!

Glad he's out (I'm sure he is too!)

Tom and Shalaun said...

Love the bird story. I can't believe how much your yard/house has changed since we were there last!

Brett and Ali said...

I am so sorry about the crab! It is a good possiblity that I owe you a new one. Your pictures are always so fun to look at. Say hi to the kiddos for us, we will see them soon!
Love,
Ali

suz said...

How exciting! I probably would have just ran around the house screaming instead of thinking up a clever plan to get it out. I also got a kick out of your giant hand sanitizer!