Sunday, June 29

Framing the Basement

We've been busy the past week as we started framing Last Saturday. Here's what we have accomplished that time. (I wish I had taken an "Our First Wall" photo, but the memory card was full, and I didn't have time to download all the pics to the computer, so alas, it is never to be had.)
Tom came over and spent all day Saturday helping Troy. They were able to get a lot done.
Troy's parents and Emily his youngest sister came over around 4 pm and stayed until 9:00. They, and Tom were able to lift, mark and install almost half the floor joists.
It makes me nervous to watch Troy walking on the tops of the walls that are 3 1/2 " wide with a 9 foot drop to the basement floor.
As usual, we also had our two "little helpers" along
Here they are climbing on the lumber in their socks. Once they get dirt into their shoes, its hopeless trying to convince them to keep their shoes on.
Melissa and Emily were lots of help. The joists are to be placed on 12" centers in some places, and 18" centers in other places. They marked on the top of each wall where the joists should sit. It's not as easy as it sounds!
Tom making sure the joist is sitting right on the mark.
Em and Mom measuring and marking while both standing on the Little Giant Ladder
Using the speed square to draw the lines
We moved the Little Tikes slide down into the basement so the boys could play while we work and we would be able to keep them semi-contained
The novelty wears off fairly quickly, though.
Troy was especially glad to have them all there when it was time to move the joists that were 42 feet long!!!
Aunt Emily taking a break with the boys
A fun picture looking through the framing at Melissa and Tom
This is what we accomplished at the end of the day. Thank you for all your hard work everyone!

5 comments:

Brett and Ali said...

Wow! What a huge difference one week cam make! At this rate, you should be well on your way in no time. I love all of the pictures...you are so patient( I only get a few done, before I tire of waiting!)
Love,
Ali and Company

Nicole said...

If you resize the pics, the upload almost instantly, and use less of your blog "memory" space

Tom and Shalaun said...

Tom said he had a lot of fun and was well fed--two things that usually keep him pretty content. Its really fun to see the progress you are making. I'm sure it represents gallons of sweat.

Tasharoo said...

This is so awesome! I'm so excited for your little family! I love the new enclosed babysitter!

Sorry about my automatic playlist...don't keep your speakers up so high. I don't mind it cause sometimes I would rather listen to other people's stuff than my own, then I just pause whatever I'm listening to and enjoy myself. Take it easy, girl, you are going to blow a gasket!

Collier Family said...

WOW!! It looks great! I'm so excited for you!! Keep up the good hard work!